Thursday, March 3, 2016

New Friends and Lessons

Osage Hills State Park – Bugle/Waterfall Trail
February 18, 2016 - 1/12

I made a vow to do more hiking and by golly I am going to keep it. Not only am hoping that getting out more will help me become healthier, but am hoping to teach Annaley to love and cherish nature.
We were both excited as we started our new adventure. I was happy to be outside, getting back to what I love and Annaley was excited to jump off rocks and sassy walk her way down a dirt trail.
We stopped frequently so I could show Annaley a robin, unique trees, squirrels, rock formations, and a very brave (or acclimated) armadillo.
As we neared the falls I could hear the sound of kids playing. In all honesty, my first instinct was to turn around. I was enjoying my alone time with Annaley and, since I’m being honest, I am a natural introvert. I put on a good front, but talking to strangers is not my forte and given the opportunity to meet and greet or avoid, I usually avoid.
But I knew Annaley would love to see the waterfalls and play on the rocks. Also, part of my vow is to be brave. I cannot begin to list everything I have shied away from because I was scared or because, Lord forbid, I might have to talk to other people, who, by the way, are doing the same thing I am aka the thing I love.
Approaching the waterfalls, Annaley was instantly greeted by two girls roughly her age and just like that she had made two new friends. Taking a deep breath I introduced myself to the girl’s mother. Soon her three boys were also showing Annaley all their treasures. They gave her fresh water shells, sparkly rocks, and one boy even gave her a quarter. Their generosity and kindness was overwhelming in the best way.

I couldn’t help but think that had I turned us around before the falls, when I heard the kids, that Annaley wouldn’t have experienced this genuine kindness of strangers. The day had started out with me wanting to teach Annaley about nature, but in the end, it was I who learned how being brave can lead to unexpected friendships.







No comments:

Post a Comment