Sunday, April 24, 2016

The Kidlet's First Mountain

Gloss/Glass State Park
March 10, 2016 - 3 of 12


Spring Break brought great weather and a trip to the grandparent’s house. The grandparents live five hours away and we go there quite often. Every time we drive there, we pass the Glass/Gloss Mountain State Park … and we never stop … like ever.
So when I found out we were going to have a contractor come in and tear up our kitchen floor at a stupid early hour of the day I decided the kidlet and I were going to the grandparent’s house and we were going to stop at Glass/Gloss Mountain State Park.

When we first got there I wasn’t sure we were going to hike to the top. I knew I could do it, it would be hard, but I could do it. I wasn’t sure the kidlet was up to the trek. So first we walked over to the information monument and found out the Gloss Mountains was actually named due to a language miscommunication.
After trying to explain to the kidlet that the British explorer had said “glass”, but the map maker heard “gloss” therefore that is what was recorded, I asked her if she wanted to climb to the top. She answered yes without hesitation. I figured we’d give it a go and if she got tired we’d just turn around.
Before hitting the trail head we stopped and picked out a souviner piece of gypsum. The plateau is covered in gypsum and when the sun hits it just right it looks like it’s covered in glass, hence its name Glass/Gloss Mountain.

We started climbing and I am ashamed to admit I had to stop a lot more than the kidlet. I used phrases like, “We’ve got to pace ourselves,” and “Let’s enjoy the view,” to justify getting her to stop, when I really need to just catch my breath.
We got just below the top and it looked a little hinky (to use a Scooby-doo phrase). Just as I was about to suggest that we turn around and go back, the kidlet scrambled up the rest of the trail like “it ain’t no thang”, so I scrambled up behind her terrified she was going to fall.

Thankfully, we both made it to the top safe and sound, though I was a little winded (read a lot winded). We hiked the trail on top of the plateau, where the kidlet exclaimed, “You can see the whole world from here!”
I think she’s hooked on mountain climbing. She has me tell her the story of how her daddy and I climbed Heart Mountain (8,123 ft) over and over.

As we came down we met an older couple who had just arrived. The woman asked the kidlet how old she was and the kidlet told her. Then the woman told the kidlet how old she was, 83. As her husband took her hand, we said our good-byes.

I couldn’t help but take a picture of them starting the hike up Gloss/Glass Mountain trail. I sincerely hope that when I’m 83, I’m still hiking mountains.





No comments:

Post a Comment