Sunday, July 24, 2016

The Land of Fairies

Island View Nature Trail ~ Lake TenKiller, OK
April 16, 2016 ~ 5 of 12

Camping in April in Oklahoma can be tricky. It can be super cold, you could be dealing with severe storms, or it could be so hot that you don't even want to move. That being said, April also has a slew of perfect weather day. I took all this into consideration when my friend posted a Groupon deal for cabins at Lake Tenkiller.


Let me rephrase, I considered the weather as I hit the "buy" button because the deal was too good to pass up. Then I texted my husband, yes I do have one, and told him to clear his calendar for that weekend because we were going to camping. His response? He wanted to know what we were going to do because we don't have a boat. My answer, of course, was hiking.


So our weekend was a bit chilly and overcast, but we didn't let that stop us from enjoying the beauty of Lake Tenkiller.  We fished, sat around the fire, counted bats (we like bats), watched the birds, ate all the smores, and of course, hiked.


Having moved to northeast Oklahoma eight years before I knew it was green, but as we entered the trail head for Island View Nature Trail I felt transported into the land of fairies. Even mid-August the vegetation was thick and green, mushrooms of all shapes and sizes, fallen logs and wild flowers lined the trail and the overcast weather made the temperature perfect.







No comments:

Post a Comment